Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Abandon Hope, All Ye Comics Fans

Over on his blog, Peter David posted a pretty depressing response to a poster in a thread discussing the current state of the comics industry:

Eric Pilgrim asks:

Peter ...have you ever thought of or been approached for a Vertigo or MAX title? I mean those books are full of creator freedom, right? You could start anything you wanted...like The Adventures of PAD....or something. I just think that you could really rip up the numbers in that market.

PAD responds:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Rip up the numbers." If you mean get big sales, there's no way. I mean, I appreciate the sentiment, but the numbers are pretty consistent: No one "rips up the numbers" on anything wholly original or novel or innovative. Safe and familiar is rewarded with big sales; wildly different or innovative just gets you low numbers. Even the most popular Vertigo books still way undersold "Supergirl" and "Young Justice" (which were, of course, canceled).

If you'll excuse me, I'm now going into the other room to drown my Sandman collection in kerosene and set myself on fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home